What are some of Notre Dame's foreign language faculty and the CSLC Leadership Team doing this summer? Reading, of course! We're working through some fun, some interesting, and some thoughtful books. Here's what we're up to this summer:
Brian Ó Conchubhair's Reading List
- Liam Mac Coil's, "An Litir" (Leabhar Breac)
- Caoimhín Mac Giolla Léith & Liam Mac Amhlaigh's, "Fill Arís: Oidhreacht Sheáin Uí Ríordáin"
- Robert Boyce's, "The Great Interwar Crisis and the Collapse of Globalization" (Palgrave)
- Arthur Marwick's, "The Deluge: British Society and the First World War" (Norton)
- Alan McGonagle's, "Psychotic Episodes" (Arlen House)
Teena Sexton's Reading List
- Dr. Phil McGraw's, "Life Code"
- Seth Godin's, "Purple Cow"
- Seth Godin's, "V is for Vulnerable"
Denise Ayo's Reading List
- Dorothy Sayers's, "Whose Body?"
- Dorothy Sayers's, "Gaudy Night"
- Joyce Carol Oates's, "Zombie"
- Salih's, "Season of Migration to the North"
- Zambra's, "Bonsai"
Maggie McDowell's Reading List
- Margaret Atwood's, "The Blind Assassin"
- Mary Ann Shaffer's, "The Gurernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"
- Abraham Verghese', "Cutting for Stone"
- Téa Obreht's, "The Tiger's Wife"
- William Faulkner's, "Absalom, Absalom"
Stew Markel's Reading List
- Scott L. Montgomery's, "Does Science Need a Global Language?"
- Scott L. Montgomery's, "English and the Future of Research"
- Jane Hyun's, "Breaking the Bamboo Ceiling: Career Strategies for Asians"
- Paul Theroux's, "The Last Train to Zona Verde: My Ultimate African Safari"
Denise Della Rossa's Reading List
- Antje Ravic Strubel's, "Sturz der Tage in der Nacht"
Shauna William's Reading List
- Parker Palmer's, "The Courage to Teach"
- Greg Thompson's, "The Intersection of Service Learning: Research and Practice in the Second-Language Classroom"
Sandra Teixeira's Reading List
- Mia Couto's, "Na berma de nenhuma estrada"
- João Guimarães Rosa's, "Grande Sertão: Veredas"
- Isabela Figueiredo's, "Caderno de memórias coloniais"
Matt Getze' Reading List
- Julio Cortázar's, "Hopscotch"
- Katherine Dunn's, "Geek Love"
- Lourdes Ortega's, "Understanding SLA"
- Jack Richard's, "Curriculum Development in Language Teaching"
- Brown and Abeywickrama's, "Language Assessment: Principles and Classroom Practice"
Melissa Guadalupe's Reading List
- Haruki Murakami's, "Kafka on the Shore"
- Primo Levi's, "I sommersi e i salvati"
- Primo Levi's, "Se questo è un uomo"
- Primo Levi's, "La Tregua"
- Alexandre Dumas', "The Three Musketeers"