The CSLC offers an array of programs and services to support your language and cultural studies, as well as classes in less commonly taught languages (LCTLs) and minors in Linguistics and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). These programs are open to all undergraduate students at Notre Dame. Additionally, international students can take advantage of the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program's resources.
Academic Programs and Courses
The CSLC offers a variety of courses and two minors to address students' multifaceted language-related academic interests:
- Linguistics Minor: provides you with a deep understanding of how languages are constructed and language is used in different contexts; prepares you for a future in academia, information technology, translation, the government, and more
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Minor: equips you with the essential skills to teach English to non-native English speakers, pursue graduate work in second language acquisition or linguistics, develop English-language materials, and more
- Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTLs): courses are offered in languages such as Hindi and Swahili
The study of linguistics, TESOL, and less commonly taught languages provide you with linguistic and cultural skills that will make you well-prepared for a career in a variety of different disciplines.
The CSLC also offers a broad array of programs and services that are open to all undergraduate students, including:
- Peer tutoring
- Summer Language Abroad (SLA) Grant
- Language tables
- Language library
- English for Academic Purposes